Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Xenogears Project Update #4

Sorry I took so long to post this. All enemies are done and so are their techs, but as I said before, they'll have to be redone once I have the new font. Below are some new screenshots. They're from the Margie's rescue arc (Disc 1). I managed to edit the battle dialog, but a little problem occurred. You'll see it in the last screenshot.

I'll also redo Zephyr's old English. I made a big mistake there. I wasn't aware that thou, thee, thy, etc were intended to be informal. I was merely following BoF4's localization of Fou-Lu, haha. Fou-Lu talks weird ("thou art"), so I thought I could imitate that. I don't know, maybe I'll do it for Wiseman. Wiseman's very first word in the game is お主 (おぬし, onushi), which means "you", but this pronoun's no longer in use in Japan (but they still use many pronouns meaning "you": 貴方 (あなた, anata), お前 (おまえ, omae), 君 (きみ, kimi), あんた (anta), or 貴様 (きさま, kisama). Only say kisama if you want to pick a fight with someone!). お主 is archaic Japanese too, but in Wiseman's case, he speaks informally.

Margie's a little weird too. Although she speaks today's Japanese, she talks like a boy. When referring to herself, she uses the pronoun 僕 (ぼく, boku). It means "I", but it's used only by boys. Girls often use あたし (atashi) instead. And, if my memory doesn't fail me, at the end of sentences, Margie uses the particle よ (yo), which sounds masculine. Girls often end their sentences with わ (wa), which sounds feminine. And she never calls Bart "Bart". She calls him 若 (わか, waka), which means "young". "Young one" wouldn't sound good to me, since she's young too and 2 years younger than him. I guess it's better for her to call him just "Bart".

Here, Ramsus calls Bart 小僧 (こぞう, kozou), which means "youngster", but I guess it can be used as an insult like 餓鬼 (がき, gaki).
Here, Bart calls Ramsus おっさん ("ossan"), which means middle-aged man. Ramsus didn't even reach his 30s, but I guess Bart means that Ramsus is old-fashioned. Or, that he's old from a teenager's perspective. Bart is 18, by the way.

I don't know why, but this ^ just keeps happening with the battle dialog, even after resizing the windows manually. I've disabled Xenolater's* Auto-count, but the window size didn't change at all.

*Xenolater is a tool made by the SadNES cITy team which is used for editing Xenogears' field/battle dialog. It has an automatic window resizing feature too.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Almagest, sorry to bother you here, I tried to contact you on hangout but could not. This blog is amazing, thanks for this work. I would like to ask you somes questions about your translation, and would be glad to be able to talk to you in any way :). Best, K.

    ReplyDelete